Archives for January 2013

Brandermill Education Ambassadors ("BEA") Meetings

Posted January 15, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Message Courtesy of the Community Character Committee

Dianne Smith, Clover Hill's Representative to the Chesterfield County School Board, will hold an informational meeting and training session for all those interested in volunteering in our local schools. The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, January 16, 2012 at 9:30 a.m., Clover Hill High School. All interested parties should check-in at the school office. You will then be directed to the meeting room. These meetings will continue on the third Wednesday of each month at 9:30 a.m. throughout the school year. Please contact Monika Fitzgerald or Dianne Cardea if you need further information.

NRC Annual Meeting

Posted January 14, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Wednesday, January 16, 2013
7:00 p.m.
Brandermill Woods

Hope everyone had a joyous holiday season and is now ready to start the new year. And one way to start the new year is to elect the 2013 NRC Board of Officers.

Over the past several months, the NRC Nominating Committee has worked hard to complete its work. It now presents the following slate of officers for your consideration.
Chair Mamie McNeal (Planters Wood)
A Brandermill resident since 1987 and a member of the NRC since 2007, Mamie has served as the Neighborhood Rep for Planters Wood (2008-present), NRC Communications Chair (2008-2009), and NRC Chair (2010, 2012). As a business owner of a technology company specializing in office automation procedures since 1978, Mamie understands the growing use of technology, especially with smartphones and other mobile devices, and hopes to expand NRC communications through the use of these tools. She understands the importance of two-way communications between the BCA Board and Brandermill residents.
First Vice Chair Joe Herbst (Harbourwood)
Joe am a retired Procter & Gamble senior sales executive who would like to apply his business and leadership skills and experience to serve the Brandermill community. If elected, he will bring a conservative, data-based approach to accomplishing the NRC's goals as stated in its charter.
Second Vice Chair Kathy Cantrell (Huntsbridge)
Kathy has been a resident of Brandermill for 28 years, having moved here from Colorado in 1984. Retiring in 2007 from The Veterans Administration as a Radiation Therapist, she now is a CPR instructor for the American Heart Association and also cares for seniors. She raised her son in Brandermill and enjoys all the amenities this community provides. She has served on the NRC for the past two years as the Membership Chair and as being a Neighborhood Rep for Huntsbridge for the past three years. Kathy believes that the NRC is an effective communication tool for our community and that we need to continue improving the open association within our neighborhoods, allowing residents to efficiently share their opinions, ideas, complaints and questions with the BCA Board.
Secretary Carla Barnes (Sterling's Bridge)
Carla is a 1988 graduate of Roanoke College. She recently returned from Tuscaloosa, Alabama (where she had lived for 12 years) to be with her family. Carla lives with her father, Jerry who is a long-time resident of Brandermill, a member of the Community Character Committee and, along with his late wife, Christine, a Neighborhood Rep for Sterling's Bridge. Her parent's involvement in the community sparked Carla's interest to get involved. Carla has an extensive professional background in business management and is currently a store manager for Dressbarn, Inc.
Treasurer George Lawson (Huntsbridge)
A native Virginian, George has lived in Brandermill for 26 years. He retired from the Hillman Group in 2006 where he served as the Virginia Regional Manager. He is actively involved in the Virginia Citizen Defense League (VCDL) and the NRA, and has served as a Republican delegate in past state conventions. George has been married to his wife, Kay for 36 years, and they have two sons, Tripp and Kirt (who attended CCPS schools) and one grandson. He enjoys working in the yard, traveling and the beach. He looks forward to working with Brandermill residents to make the community a better place.
A quorum of neighborhoods is needed for a vote so MARK YOUR CALENDARS NOW!

Highlights of the January 7, 2013 BCA Board Meeting

Posted January 14, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Important Note: The below highlights are reported based on unofficial notes taken by NRC representatives who attended the above BCA meeting. Although we believe the below reporting is reliable and strive for accuracy, we cannot assure 100% accuracy. It is recommended to all readers that they read the approved BCA Board Meeting minutes when published.

Member Voice

Mamie McNeal (Planters Wood) asked that the BCA Board (1) issue an RFP for the implementation of the Marketing Plan and to not have it designated as "single source vendor" and (2) release the domain name for use of the marketing web site and to use for the existing site to be used by residents and future services offered by Forward Pass.

Minutes of December 3, 2012 BCA Board Meeting

The above cited minutes were amended to correct consecutive numbering within the minutes. President Guthrie stated that no items had been omitted. The minutes were approved as amended.

President's Report

President Guthrie stated that the modifications to the roundabout sign have now been completed. The traffic signal is now operating at Brandermill Wood. The Brandermill History Project Committee will soon begin receiving artifacts reflecting Brandermill's history. An article regarding this will be in the next issue of The Village Mill. President Guthrie also congratulated the winners of the Holiday House awards. (Note: For a complete list of Holiday House winners, download the list from the BCA web site at He also reminded residents that there will be three open seats on the Board this year, and the 2013 Annual Meeting schedule is included as page 2 of the January 7, 2013 Board information packet. (Note: NRC-sponsored "Meet the Candidates" night will be held on March 12, 2013 at 7:00 p.m., Brandermill Woods.)

Director's Reports

Director O'Hanley reported that the Communications Task Force has not yet received a timeline from Forward Pass for implementing recommendations.

Manager's Report

President Guthrie welcomed our new Community Manager, J.B. Bailey, and said that J.B. has hit the ground running since January 2, 2013. Since J.B. has only been community manager for four days, Assistant Community Manager Al Raimo presented the Manager's Report for December 2012.

The BCA Board approved Richard Ziegler (Regatta Pointe) to serve on the Marketing Committee and Dianna Ragsdale (Walnut Creek) to serve on the Community Character Committee.

The BCA Board thanked Assistant Community Manager Al Raimo for all his hard work and extraordinary efforts while we searched for a new Community Manager.

Committee Reports

Director Hillman asked that residents be reminded that the new mailboxes will need to be installed by the end of this year. This was supported by President Guthrie who also said that a "reminder" notice was included in the recent annual assessment statement mailing. Assistant Community Manager Raimo stated that the Standards Department is working on ways to continually remind residents. Community Character Chair Dianne Cardea also commented that it, along with the NRC, will be holding neighborhood covenants meetings this year.

Pool Analysis Study

Bobby Joyner, member of Parks, Amenities and Recreation Committee (PARC), reported that PARC will be meeting twice during the month of January to finalize its recommendations to the BCA Board in February. (Note: Visit the BCA web site at to see committee meeting times and places.)

Director Livingston stated that based on the study prepared by Club Source Design (see pages 20-42 of the January 7, 2013 Board information packet), there were several ADA compliance and safety issues to be addressed, outside of the consideration for universal pool access. He feels that the BCA Board at its next strategic and budgetary planning meeting will need to consider these pool issues in the upcoming year and hopes that PARC's recommendations will address some of them.

Director Bettin agreed that the Club Source Design was a good and sound one, and should enable the BCA Board to make pool decisions based on facts and not emotions.

President Guthrie agreed that the study provided factual information about maintaining and upgrading the pools. He also suggested that the BCA Board receive PARC's recommendations before the BCA holds community meetings to get resident feedback.

Director Davis asked for a 1-page executive summary of the pool analysis study before holding community meetings.

Director O'Hanley asked if Club Source Design would be making the presentation at the community meetings. Director Livingston stated that the firm had offered to respond to questions regarding their study and that he and Bobby Joyner may be available to answer other questions. President Guthrie said that the intent of the initial community meetings will be to provide information to the residents.

Marketing Plan Update

Marketing Chair Dennis Peterson presented an update on the Marketing Plan. (Note: The page numbers cited in Chair Peterson's statement refer to a Marketing Plan not yet published to the public as of this BCA Board meeting.) He cites that the Marketing Plan covers a 5-year period and therefore seeks BCA Board approval for long-term, continual funding for marketing Brandermill.

Chair Peterson feels that BCA Board's approval of A Touch of Technology to create the marketing plan should also be carried forward to their implementing the plan. He feels that with the prior approval, the BCA Board has agreed that A Touch of Technology is a quality company with creativity, sound judgment and experience; and does not feel that RFP's need to be issued for implementation of the plan. He also reminded the BCA Board that the monies shown in the Marketing Plan are given as guidance and are not quotes from A Touch of Technology.

A Touch of Technology will present the final draft of the Marketing Plan to the BCA Board at its February meeting.

Board Discussion

Director Davis questioned if it is desirable to hold discussions on both the Pool Analysis Study and the Marketing Plan at the next BCA Board meeting. He felt that each might deserve more time and attention than might be available at a single meeting and suggested that the two topics be presented separately at different Board meetings.

Director O'Hanley asked for the opinion of the Board to use the RFP process to implement the Marketing Plan. Director Hillman asked "why would we not want to?" She felt that creation of a marketing plan and the implementation of the plan were two different things, with more qualified vendors being able to implement than to create a plan. Director O'Hanley felt that the choice for implementation had already been made when the BCA Board approved A Touch of Technology to create the marketing plan. President Guthrie commented that the question whether to use the RFP process to solicit qualified vendors to implement the plan or not was premature at this time.

Community Manager Bailey asked Chair Peterson if it was possible for A Touch of Technology to provide a consolidated summary of options and budgetary costs for each. Director Davis also asked that a timeline and costs to implement the various phases of the marketing plan accompany the summary. Chair Peterson felt that the information would be available in the final Marketing Plan.

Director Livingston asked what action the BCA Board would be expected to take at the February meeting with regards to this plan. President Guthrie stated that it would be to receive/accept and understand the plan as presented.

Director Hillman continued to question if the BCA Board approving A Touch of Technology to create a marketing plan, the BCA Board also approved them to implement the plan. This was not her initial understanding. She also commented that she heard at least one member of the Marketing Committee say at its last meeting that the costs shown in the Marketing Plan were high, and because of that and other similar comments, she felt the better recourse was to use the RFP process to solicit bids to implement the marketing plan.

Assistant Community Manager Raimo commented that the purpose of the Chair Peterson's presentation was to update the BCA Board on the status of the Marketing Plan and to solicit feedback/questions from the Board. He said that he would ask A Touch of Technology the questions presented by the BCA Board and get answers. He also stated that his interpretation of the BCA financial policies was that the BCA Board could decide to "single source" the implementation of the marketing plan, if it could be properly documented to show cause. He suggested that the decision be deferred until A Touch of Technology's presentation.

In response to Director Davis' request to separate the Pool Study Analysis and the Marketing Plan presentations and Directors O'Hanley's and Livingston's comments to not delay implementation of the Marketing Plan, President Guthrie offered the suggestion of holding one Board meeting but having it start earlier, e.g., 6:30 p.m.

Skinquarter Landfill Proposal

Director Davis stated that this case will be heard by the Planning Commission in March. Staff is developing a list of communities that may be impacted by this landfill proposal. Proponents of the proposal may hold community meetings this month. President Guthrie commented that the proposed landfill will bring additional traffic into our area; the "significance" of increased traffic volume is to be determined. VDOT has indicated that the landfill expansion would increase the amount of traffic by about 600 trucks per day (see pages 43-52 of the January 7, 2013 Board information packet). The questions become: "What is the impact on Brandermill with regards to traffic congestion and water and air quality?"

Director Hillman felt the expansion would have more impact in Amelia and other areas west of Brandermill.

Director Davis said that the landfill was originally started in 1988 to be a "stump" dump to handle wood debris for the Route 360 corridor. The concern for this expansion include a provision that the landfill now become a commercial landfill with debris coming from not just the Route 360 corridor, but from the larger mid-Atlantic region.

Director Livingston felt that an additional 600 truck trips per day may not be significant on Hull Street Road. President Guthrie reminded the Directors that the County has already slated Brandermill's intersection at Route 360 to have "No. 1 priority" status because of the existing traffic congestion. Director Hillman commented that there presently is more traffic on Hull Street Road at our intersection than at Woodlake.

Director Livington asked what decision point does the BCA Board have to actively participate in fighting against this additional traffic or saying that it is insignificant. He cited that the new Walmart located on Hull Street Road probably attracts more traffic than an expanded landfill. Director Davis suggested that the BCA Board get more information before responding. President Guthrie reiterated that the Directors should continue to pay attention as the proposal progresses, ask questions and seek information as it becomes available. Director Livingston agreed.

NRC 2013 Annual Meeting

Posted January 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Please mark your calendars for the NRC 2013 Annual Meeting to be held Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 7:00 p.m., Brandermill Woods. Election of 2013 NRC officers will be held at this meeting.

The Nominating Committee is pleased to present the following slate of officers:

Chair   Mamie McNeal
First Vice Chair   Joe Herbst
Second Vice Chair   Kathy Cantrell
Secretary   Carla Barnes
Treasurer   George Lawson

Information Packet for January 7, 2013 BCA Board Meeting

Posted January 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM
The information packet for the upcoming BCA Board meeting is now available for downloading. We encourage residents to attend BCA Board meetings to learn of Brandermill "happenings". For a quick snapshot of what the BCA Board will be discussing, read the attached agenda.

Highlights of December 20, 2012 MPOC Meeting

Posted January 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM
It was requested that MPOC members comment on the first draft of the Marketing Plan submitted by a Touch of Technology. NRC Chair Mamie McNeal asked if, from a procedural standpoint, a discussion held by MPOC members on a first draft of any project was appropriate, especially if the BCA committee sponsoring the project had not had the opportunity to comment on it first. Marketing Chair Dennis Peterson confirmed that he received the draft report at the same time that the rest of the MPOC members did. CCC Chair Dianne Cardea agreed that each sponsoring committee should review and comment on first draft before it coming to MPOC for comments. Natural Resources Chair Jim Schrecognost felt that MPOC discussion on this first draft did not usurp any responsibilities from the Marketing Committee on taking responsibility for the project. Chair Peterson did affirm that his committee had met two days before to review this first draft; no remarks were given about any comments made by the Marketing Committee members.

Discussion on First Draft of Marketing Plan MPOC members were asked how they felt the first draft of the Marketing Plan as submitted by a Touch of Technology fulfilled the objectives of (1) improving Brandermill's web presence, (2) maximizing exposure through social networks, and (3) driving people to the BCA web site through promotions and advertising.

Chair Peterson read a prepared statement which included in part, "It has been determined [by the consultants, Touch of Technology] that the best solution for Brandermill's web-based marketing needs is the development a web platform new and separate from the on-line services supplied by our current provider. Services [from our current vendor] will still be utilized by the BCA and Brandermill residents, except that our promotional web site targeting the home-buying public will be an independent site, giving us a new design and messaging opportunities. These two platforms - the current and the new - will be linked for easy resident access."

MPOC members attending this meeting voted favorably to support the approach presented in the draft Marketing Plan.

Chair Peterson is scheduled to make a presentation of the Marketing Plan to the BCA Board at its January 2013 meeting, with the final plan being presented to the BCA Board at its February 2013 Board meeting.

Discussion on Formalizing the MPOC Process

Facilitator Al Raimo led a discussion on creating a MPOC project schedule to enable resident feedback and to meeting Board expectations. After some discussion, McNeal volunteered to work with Raimo to draft a potential schedule.