Archives for September 2016


Harbour Pointe Safety Alert

Posted September 30, 2016 at 1:17 PM
Please do not use the Harbour Pointe dock, near the rock at this time. It has been determined to be unsafe. BCA maintenance crews have taken appropriate actions to secure the dock until repairs can be made.
Message Courtesy of Brandermill Community Association

Information Packet for October 3, 2016 BCA Board Meeting

Posted September 30, 2016 at 7:53 AM

The information packet for the upcoming BCA Board meeting is now available for downloading.

Agenda items include:

Additional information about the above agenda may be found on page 2 of this Board packet.

The NRC encourages residents to read the minutes of the various BCA committees found within the Board packet. These committees are hard at work, participating not only in this year's budget but next year's as well. Your feedback and participation NOW is important to them and to the BCA Board.

Residents are also encouraged to attend BCA Board meetings to learn of Brandermill "happenings."

 

Mark Your Calendars!

Posted September 17, 2016 at 9:11 AM
Community Meeting on 2017 Draft Budget
Hosted by Finance Committee
Monday, September 19, 2016
7:00 p.m.
The Brandermill Church

Plan to attend this meeting to hear Manager Raimo present the 2017 draft budget.

Due to paving activities at Harbour Pointe Clubhouse, please note that this meeting will be held in the Fellowship Hall of The Brandermill Church, 4500 Millridge Parkway.


Highlights of September 6, 2016 BCA Board Meeting

Posted September 9, 2016 at 6:50 PM
Important Note: The below highlights are reported based on unofficial notes taken by NRC representatives who attended the above BCA meeting. Although we believe the below reporting is reliable and strive for accuracy, we cannot assure 100% accuracy. It is recommended to all readers that they read the approved BCA Board Meeting minutes when published.

Highlights of September 6, 2016 BCA Board Meeting

NRC Summary of Major Items

Member Voice

Becky Bennett (Chimney House) updated the BCA Board about a property in her neighborhood; the police are now engaged in regular patrols. She reported that the backyard of the property is unsightly and that there are 6+ vehicles parked on the property with some of the vehicles not being properly inspected. She wants the BCA Board to be aware of the conditions on the property.

Mrs. Bennett also reported that a home daycare is operating on the same property and that she is aware that there are legal issues surrounding home daycares. She acknowledged that the BCA Board is awaiting to hear from the Commonwealth Attorney General about operating home daycare businesses in Brandermill and urged the Directors to look at allowing home-based businesses in Brandermill as a whole. She noted that they did not purchase in Brandermill with the intent of living next to a business which generates lots of traffic.

Walter Bennett (Chimney House) spoke regarding the same property in Chimney House. He stated that the law does not allow inoperable vehicles to be stored, but magistrates will not enforce this law. He reported that there are 6+ vehicles stored on the property; some of these have not moved in months and some are not parked in the driveway.

Director Nardella stated that based on his experience as a magistrate for the City of Richmond, a magistrate's decision is based on the information submitted by the zoning inspector.

With regards to the operation of the home daycare operation at the same address, Bennett commented that the children were unsupervised. President Davis asked how many children attended the daycare, to which Bennett reported that he felt there may be as many as six children at the daycare. Some of the children may be relatives.

Linda Quackenbush (Walker's Ferry) spoke to the BCA Board regarding a number of landscaping issues. She requested that Millridge and Brandermill Parkway be included in beautification efforts. In particular, she noted issues at the intersection of Brandermill Parkway and Genito Road. She commented that the pampas grass at this intersection is overgrown and needs to be removed. She also noted that the Liriope plants at the same location are too tall and that the flowers cannot be seen. She believes that all of our plants need dirt since they are being grown in beds which have been mulched for years. She also reported that there are tree branches that need to be cleaned up at the intersection of Brandermill Parkway and Genito, adding that this is a very busy intersection which is not being well-maintained. She also reported that there are two separate brush piles which have not been picked up for about six months.

Director Hillman stated that the Community Appearance and Maintenance Committee (CAM) is working with Rupert to address several landscaping issues.

With regards to the perennials which have been planted at entrances to some neighborhoods, Mrs. Quackenbush commented that she is not impressed and that the colors of the perennials are too close to the color of the mulch.

Director Hillman suggested Quackenbush contact Dianne Cardea, chair of that CAM subcommittee, with her specific concerns.

Jim Schrecengost (Timber Ridge) noted that emergency vehicles might be blocked when vehicles are parked on both sides of a street. He suggested posting "No Parking" signs on neighborhood streets during specific times of the day. President Davis asked if the vehicles belong to residents living there. Schrecengost answered in the affirmative and also stated that many of those vehicles have not moved in weeks.

President Davis felt that residents would not want "No Parking" signs within their neighborhoods nor painted "No Parking" curbs. Director Hillman agreed, as she fears it would thwart home sales, describing a scenario where a prospective buyer with four family drivers would be unable to park four cars in the driveway. Director Nardella commented that enforcement of street parking would also become an issue.

President Davis commented that our options are limited since the streets are not under the authority of Brandermill. President Davis also said the BCA would continue to make residents aware of the issue with the hope that voluntary action would be a significant first step in addressing the problem.

Craig Nelson (Promontory Pointe) addressed the Directors regarding the problems arising from too many resident geese on the grounds surrounding the Harbour Pointe clubhouse, pool and playground. He reported that he has counted 50 geese at the location and cited studies which report that 50 geese would produce 2.5 tons of excrement annually. He offered materials from the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, describing their "Integrated Wildlife Management" program. He reported that these geese have become domesticated and will not migrate. He asked the BCA Board to develop a comprehensive plan to deal with the problems caused by the geese. He commented on steps being taken to control geese populations in Woodlake.

President Davis asked Nelson to draw up a plan and discuss it with Manager Raimo. President Davis also offered to help Nelson contact individuals in Woodlake who are working to control the geese.

Director Hunt noted that it would probably require Brandermill to get two permits in order to deal with the geese situation.

Director Gregory commented that we need to be sure that any proposed plan of action to deal with the geese is legal.

Darrell Borum (Promontory Pointe) confirmed that the geese population is increasing at the Harbour Pointe clubhouse location and that something needs to be done, adding that the geese are now defecating in his yard. He also expressed health concerns about the geese excrement found in the new Harbour Pointe playground.

Jeff Quackenbush (Walker's Ferry) commented that he tried to take his granddaughter to the park in Harbour Pointe and the goose excrement problem had not been exaggerated.

Quackenbush expressed concern about the appearance of the natural area along Brandermill Parkway near the Brandermill Country Club, noting overgrown trees in this area. He also shared concern about an old tree in Brandermill open space near his home.

Director Davis responded that these tree problems would be addressed. A discussion then followed regarding the responsibility for overgrown trees in the Brandermill Parkway/Brandermill Country Club area. Director Friedel clarified that the responsibility rests with the property owner of the land where the tree is growing.

Director Pearson expressed concern that residents might feel that they have taken their concerns before the BCA Board and that nothing has happened in response. He clarified that some of the issues brought to the Directors involve issues of jurisdiction; for others, he noted that the BCA Board often cannot comment regarding the actions it is taking due to legal concerns. As an example, Pearson referred to the issue of unsupervised children, noting that this is an issue that must go to Chesterfield County Child Protective Services.

Director Gregory reiterated that it was important that residents directly contact the various County and State agencies as the BCA was not physically present to describe the situation.

Comments? >>

President's Report

President Charlie Davis announced the establishment of a special committee to study covenant enforcement. Members of this committee are Directors Pearson and Nardella and resident Ben Carter. President Davis expects this special committee will begin its work soon and completed it in early 2017.

President Davis also reported that a special meeting of the BCA Board is scheduled for 2 p.m. on Thursday, September 8, 2016 at the BCA office. During this meeting (open to residents), the developer of the proposed Outdoor Adventure Park will present their proffers on key issues including traffic and noise. President Davis noted that the developer wants to have this issue go before the County Planning Commission on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 and before the County Board of Supervisors the following Thursday.

Comments? >>

First Vice President's Report

First Vice President Pearson stated that the Communications & Marketing Committee would be meeting on Thursday. He commented that the committee is considering proposals for website development.

Comments? >>

Treasurer's Report

Treasurer Bob Friedel stated that the third quarter financial reports are included in the September Board packet. He commented that the bucket truck has been delivered and our maintenance team is being trained in its use. This expense will appear on the fourth quarter financial reports.

Treasurer Friedel also reported that the revised budget planning schedule for the 2017 is included in the September Board packet.

Comments? >>

Acting Community Manager's Report

Acting Community Manager Raimo reported that the BCA has approved a contract for work on the marina by the BCA. He reported that we are waiting for a start date from the general contractor but expects the work to begin in October.

Manager Raimo also reported that the BCA has a new employee, Suzie Popielec, who will serve as a senior property management specialist.

He has spoken with a county inspector regarding unlicensed daycares operating in the Chimney House neighborhood. The inspector asked to be contacted directly by the residents when they see the situation of unsupervised children occurring. He commented that it is important that the residents contact either the County Inspector's Office or Child Protective Services when they see unsupervised children in the neighborhood.

Manager Raimo reported that the BCA was successful in achieving a judgement on September 1 against a homeowner in Planter's Wood regarding covenant compliance. The homeowner is under court order to complete the necessary work and to pay the Association's legal fees. Manager Raimo noted that this is the second property case to be successfully prosecuted within the last three months.

Manager Raimo reported neighborhood covenant reviews will begin in October, with Planter's Wood being the first neighborhood.

He also noted that tree management work along Genito Road has been completed and favorable reviews have been received.

Manager Raimo reported that street sign cleaning will begin in October (street signs will be scheduled for cleaning twice per year). He also reported that the new bucket truck has been received and will begin service next week.

Manager Raimo reported work will begin on pavement repair at the Harbour Pointe clubhouse and pool. This area will be closed for repair for at least one week beginning Monday, September 12.

Comments? >>

Committee Reports

NRC Chair Mamie McNeal recognized former NRC Rep Mark Smith, present NRC Rep Dr. Hans Josephsen, his wife Charlotte, Dr. Ruth Barney, Scott James and his son Taylor (who suffered a severe accident at the intersection of Brandermill Parkway and Ridge Creek Road in 2014) for their efforts in getting VDOT to post road signs along Brandermil Parkway in the Ridge Creek area to indicate the curve in the road.

Chair McNeal also asked the BCA Board for clarification regarding the NRC's reporting on the budget process. She noted that the NRC has reported on the budget process for the last seven years and that the Directors have expressed appreciation for this work. She noted that the BCA Board has directed that the NRC to not report on the meetings of other BCA committees and asked if this included reporting of the process for the 2017 budget.

Finance Committee Chair Cardea and Directors Gregory and Friedel expressed concern regarding the NRC reporting on the budget process. They expressed the need to allow the official Finance Committee minutes to provide information regarding the outcome of committee meetings which would also provide the necessary information on the budget process. Among their concerns was a fear that NRC reporting of committees would stifle creative thinking.

Comments? >>

Update on Search for General Manager

Executive Search Committee Chair Pearson reported that the committee had received a total of 96 applications and has narrowed the search to 18 applicants. The committee would meet the following day (Tuesday, September 7) to narrow that list to 10 candidates. At tomorrow's meeting, the Search Committee will be joined by a fourth BCA Director and then go into executive session to discuss the remaining 10 candidates.

Comments? >>

Draft Budget - Schedule and Overview

Manager Raimo discussed the proposed schedule and process which was included in the September Board packet.

Finance Committee Chair Cardea reported that the committee will hold a workshop tomorrow night (September 7) to discuss the 2017 draft budget. They first want to discuss and understand the Reserve Fund and how to tighten up controls on that Fund.

The Finance Committee will host a community meeting on the proposed 2017 budget will be held at 7 p.m. on September 19 at The Brandermill Church..

Comments? >>

Update on Proposed Water Adventure Park

There will be a special meeting at 2 p.m. on Thursday, September 8 at the Brandermill office for the developer to discuss proffers on key issues including traffic and noise.

Comments? >>

Discussion of Self-Help Policy - Consideration of Changes

Director Davis moved for a change in the Authority to Take Action. The proposed change reduces the time required for written notification from 30 to 14 days before the Association plans to take corrective action on a property. The reduction to 14 days written notice to a resident whose property is not in compliance is consistent with the POAA as it relates to Hearing Panel referral notice.

During discussion it was clarified that this change would allow the Association to go onto the property after the 14-day notice to take action to correct a violation. The property owner would then be invoiced by the BCA for the work completed. Manager Raimo explained that such action could be taken in lieu of Hearing Panel action.

President Davis commented that more discussion to reduce the notification timeframe will occur at the next BCA Board meeting on October 3, 2016.

Comments? >>

Discussion of Parking on Neighborhood Streets

President Davis suggested that the Association should ask people to be aware of the problems created by cars parked along residential streets and commented that beyond asking for voluntary compliance there is not much the BCA can do to enforce no parking restrictions.

Comments? >>

 

Information Packet for September 6, 2016 BCA Board Meeting

Posted September 2, 2016 at 2:01 PM

The information packet for the upcoming BCA Board meeting is now available for downloading. Note: Due to Monday, September 5th being Labor Day, the BCA Board will be meet on Tuesday, September 6.

Agenda items include:

The NRC encourages residents to read the minutes of the various BCA committees found within the Board packet (pages 68-93). These committees are hard at work, planning not only this year's projects but next year's projects as well. Plan to attend a committee meeting to learn more about their work and join to actively participate. A schedule of committee meetings may be found on the BCA website.

Residents are also encouraged to attend BCA Board meetings to learn of Brandermill "happenings."